Tuesday, December 4, 2007

20) Winter's Kiss

2 oz. Sailor Jerry Rum
.5 oz. Velvet Falernum
1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1 tsp. Simple Syrup
1/4 of a Granny Smith apple cut up into large chunks

Place the apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, and simple syrup in a pint glass. Using a muddler, smash the hell out of the apple until it loses full consciousness. Add the rest of the ingredients, ice, and shake until chilled. Strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with a slice of apple.

As San Francisco's late summer comes to a close I start to get the urge to drink more of the brown boozes. You know, how they're scientifically proven to keep one warm and all? I thought it was about time Ed and I did a little something with Rum again since it's been a while, and it's not really something we use enough of anyway. It seemed like some wintery fruits would be just the thing, and it was Ed who immediately went for the apples.

I kept going on about wanting to give it a bit of spice - I was thinking an herbal sort of spice, but Ed was clearly thinking differently as he bounded up with a grater, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It wasn't what I was thinking, but it immediately struck me as a much better idea. As I had been eyeing a bottle of Velvet Falernum (a sugar cane based liqueur infused with lime and botanicals) for weeks, and knowing the wonderful way it works with Rum I was insistent that we use the damn stuff.

The final result was good, not outstanding, but very tasty and satisfying as the cold kept trying to invade the bar. The apple was very subtle but not wholly overwhelmed by the Falernum which, as I thought it would, really played well with the Rum. The hint of cinnamon and nutmeg really let the drink a very Christmas-like feel. Ed and I felt that there was a little something missing, but just couldn't put our fingers on what it was. This is one we'll definitely be revisiting as the long winter days march on.

As always feel free to leave a comment or send us an e-mail at drinkaweek [at] gmail [dot] com.

No comments: