Thursday, October 18, 2007

Well I'll Be Damned

I assumed it was going to be just another post work cocktail at Cantina (yes, I do go to other bars) but was a bit surprised when I was informed that there would be a guest bartender for the evening. I was a bit confused at first, but quickly became delighted upon finding out that the guest bartender was Nick Mautone. He was there advocating on behalf of Grey Goose Orange - When he asked me if I wanted to give a Vodka drink a try there was no way I was going to say no.

"So, do you like ginger?"
Except to that.
"Uh, not really. No."

Fortunately Mr. Mautone is twenty pounds of awesome in a ten pound sack. He began grilling me on the sorts of spirits and flavors I'm fond of, and in no time at all had whipped up a damn fine drink, and given my general dislike of Vodka that's saying something. About half way through the drink I noticed the owner, Duggan, had begun making a drink. Nothing to write home about, until he pulled out the egg.

See, I'm one of those sorts that is thoroughly skeeved out by the very idea of raw eggs. There are many things in this world which are to be consumed only after the through application of heat. Eggs are right up there on the top of the list. So it was that I watched Duggan make the drink, thinking all the while, I wonder what poor bastard is going to have to choke that down.

Somewhere between the completion of the drink, and it being set in front of me, I realized I was the poor bastard that was going to have to choke it down. Having roundly rejected ginger I suppose I could have looked at the drink and said something like, "Sir, are you trying to kill me? Take from me this vile beverage then fetch my top hat and monocle lest I give you a good thrashing!", but that just didn't seem like the thing to do at the time. So, with the restrained dedication of a child being forced to take their medicine I took a small sip.

And it was goddamned delicious.

The egg white provided a fantastic silky, creamy, foamy texture that I had never encountered in a cocktail before, yet had no discernable effect on the flavor of the drink. It was a delicious revelation and I am sure to be having many more in the near future. If, like me, you have been wary of drinks containing egg whites do yourself a favor and give one a try.

I'm still not ever going anywhere near a Flip though.

No comments: