Tuesday, September 25, 2007

14) The Aviator

1 oz. Beefeater Gin
1 oz. St. Germain
.5 oz. Maraschino Liqueur
.5 oz. Lemon juice

Add all ingredients in a shaker filled with ice. Shake for 30 seconds and strain into a cocktail glass.

So, uh, guess it's been a bit since I got a drink up here. We were still cranking them out, I just seem to have not written anything. I'm claiming a coma. Yeah, that's a good one.

I recently had, for the first time, a cocktail called the Last Word which I liked a great deal and thought it would be an interesting drink to use as a platform for a drink. I wanted to replace the Maraschino with St. Germain (I know, it's always St. Germain with me) but Ed was more keen on replacing the Chartreuse with St. Germain. The argument was short lived mostly cause the bar was out of Chartreuse.

So it was that we were more in the realm of a sort of variation on a Aviation. Sort of. We went a bit heavy with the St. Germain as we wanted it to really be the dominant player, but weren't will to make the sacrifice of using vodka to pull that off. The result was a very pleasant combination of the floral components of the St. Germain with the botanicals of the Gin. The Maraschino was very subtle, but definitely something that one would notice were it not in the cocktail.

Wanna get in touch with us? Leave a comment or send us one of those e-mail deals to drinkaweek [at] gmail [dot] com.

No comments: